Don’t use this guide without specialist supervision!
My Desire run out of internal memory. Pretty obvious it is going to happen quickly considering how small it is.
The only way is flash, I thought. And I will write about my experience with flashing.
I need some small ROM that have a decent opinion among many users, rather than few. My choice happened to be CyanogenMod Official. The other one I want to try is MIUI. But with this one the naming, and number of mods make it too complicated to say what supposed to be good, as you can guess people can be very unspecific in what they actually use.
I will provide the links to www which I found very useful when flashing + add my annotations.
First off all I’ve used Linux to root the handset. Never used it before; easy. I’ve lost few hours on Windows trying to root as drivers didn’t cooperate with me, without success.
Needed: handset, USB cable, USB stick with FAT32 partition, time.
Procedure [important: read following references: XDA, unlockr, XDA2 as I’m not as detailed – and use this notes in case you will stuck only]
- Go to http://unrevoked.com/ Click the handset you want to root. It will take you to confirmation page with handset name you’ve just choosen -> click unrevoked3 -> Download for Linux [file name atm: reflash.tar.gz]. Copy this file later on USB stick.
- On Desire, Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> make sure USB Debugging is checked ON
- Turn off wi-fi when rooting
- Download program http://www.sarducd.it/downloads.html install & open
- Open Linux Live tab -> Click on Slax, it will ask you to download it. Agree. Wait for completing download.
- USB stick into USB socket. In program click Search USB, from the drop down menu choose letter of your USB drive – make sure it is the one as it will wipe all data from it.
- Click icon below with USB stick picture, it will create bootable device. When done restart PC and make it boot from this stick.
- Start Linux
- Connect phone to PC, enable battery charging mode
- Unpack reflash.tar.gz onto desktop -> run unpacked program -> it will ask you yet to agree with t&c and then root the handset.
- In my case it restarted my phone 2 times before the root has finished. After first time it booted as after normal restart. Just wait for program on PC screen to tell you Completed – then it is done!
- Switch off phone -> Press and hold Vol- button and press Turn on button wait 5 sec for a new screen,
- From the menu [using volume buttons] navigate to and highlight Recovery -> press Turn on button [works like enter on PC] -> you are in Clockwork Recovery now -> backup and restore -> click with trackball -> backup – it will backup your system in case…
- at this point, after restart it seemed that my phone bricked as it went into constant restart loops :( what I did is: I went back into backup and restore and then I have performed restore – it restored exactly same system I’ve just backed up. Problem solved.
- Another step, re-flashing HBOOT, from what I read unrevoked-forever and AlphaRev is being used to do it. In my case only the latter worked.
- Go to http://alpharev.nl/ download AlphaRev HBOOT reflash utility [it is ISO file]
- Burn it to some rewritable medium [cd-rw, dvd-rw], run PC from this medium while the phone is being connected to PC [charging battery mode] -> wait for it to finish flashing -> read messages on phone screen, it will tell you when it will be safe to disconnect phone and PC -> after this message, phone will boot into bootloader, this is time to restart phone.
- Install Titanium Backup from the Market.
- Backup all application on your phone that you want to keep along with app data [as far as I can see all settings are being backed up -after recovering them]
- alchemistar – this blog has few custom ROMs listed for you to easily follow the links to them
- XDA forum is probably more acurate tho
- Download *.zip file of a chosen mod onto SD card
- Read all the mod specific instructions before flashing your phone with them!
- Go into Clockwork Recovery mode and in the same place where previously you have chosen backup and restore now choose update from zip file then pick the ROM you want to flash the Desire with. It will finish shortly.
- Restart device twice when flashing finishes. In my case I had a lot of force closes after first one.
- Download Google set of applications like Market for install if Mod doesn’t include them: http://goo-inside.me/gapps or
- Restore applications with Titanium Backup if you have *.apk installer for it on SD card
http://www.wohradio.com/ – Ibisa like electronic music